Veterinary Surgery: Soft Tissue & Orthopedic Procedures
The surgeons at BSVES are board certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgery (ACVS). They are highly trained in the latest in soft tissue and orthopedic surgical techniques as well as peri-operative care. These specialists are available for limited appointment hours at BSVES but can also be consulted through our sister hospital, Ocean State Veterinary Specialists. Our surgeons are able to assess and treat a wide variety of conditions and can be valuable partners with your primary care veterinarian.
Soft Tissue Specialty Surgery
Soft tissue surgical procedures performed at BSVES include, but are not limited to:
- Ear surgery
- Wound reconstruction, including skin grafts and skin flaps
- Skin surgeries, including management of dermatologic problems and tumor removal procedures
- Upper airway surgery—Trauma repair, removal of tumors, laryngeal paralysis, tracheostomy, tracheal stenting, brachycephalic syndrome
- Abdominal surgery—Foreign body removal (gastrointestinal obstruction), hernia repair, gall bladder removal (cholecystectomy), gastric dilatation and volvulus repair, bladder stone removal, removal of intra-abdominal tumors, portosystemic shunt attenuation, management of peritonitis, urethrostomy, stenting procedures
- Thoracic surgery—Abscess removal/drainage, removal of lung lobe torsion, lung and cardiac tumor removal, cardiovascular issues including patent ductus arteriosus ligation
One of the most common pet ailments encountered by owners is lameness. Veterinary evaluation is required for any persistent lameness in pets. Our specialists use the latest diagnostic procedures and veterinary imaging technology to accurately diagnose the root of orthopedic issues and to make recommendations for procedures that will provide the most benefit.
View a gallery of images from a few of our orthopedic cases.
Orthopedic surgical procedures offered at BSVES include, but are not limited to:
- Fracture repair
- Joint luxation repair
- Cranial cruciate ligament repair
- Tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO)
- Nylon stabilization
- Tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA)
- Other ligament and tendon repair
- Managing of chronic lameness
- Developmental and congenital orthopedic disease treatment
All surgical patients are given a complete pre-operative assessment and receive the benefits of advanced continuous monitoring equipment as well as a multi-modal and pro-active approach to pain management.
Post-operative care and monitoring are provided 24 hours a day by our highly trained technicians and critical care/emergency doctors.